The Deep by Alma Katsu

My Rating: 4 Stars



Date Finished: 06/06/2020



Date Published: 10/03/2020




Goodreads Synopsis: 




Someone, or something, is haunting the Titanic.

This is the only way to explain the series of misfortunes that have plagued the passengers of the ship from the moment they set sail: mysterious disappearances, sudden deaths. Now suspended in an eerie, unsettling twilight zone during the four days of the liner's illustrious maiden voyage, a number of the passengers - including millionaires Madeleine Astor and Benjamin Guggenheim, the maid Annie Hebbley and Mark Fletcher - are convinced that something sinister is going on . . . And then, as the world knows, disaster strikes.

Years later and the world is at war. And a survivor of that fateful night, Annie, is working as a nurse on the sixth voyage of the Titanic's sister ship, the Britannic, now refitted as a hospital ship. Plagued by the demons of her doomed first and near fatal journey across the Atlantic, Annie comes across an unconscious soldier she recognises while doing her rounds. It is the young man Mark. And she is convinced that he did not - could not - have survived the sinking of the Titanic . . 


My Review: 

I kept reading reviews for this book on some Facebook groups I follow surrounding horror novels so I couldn't wait to get my hands on this one. I kept checking the price for it on Amazon on a weekly basis and as soon as it dropped to just under £10, I snatched it. I began reading it as soon as it arrived in the post. 

The book is quite a hefty size, around 400+ pages, however, the writing is quite a big font so it works out quite easy to read in that sense and probably isn't quite as long as you first think. I really enjoyed reading all the ins and outs of the Titanic throughout the novel. I am not a historian of any kind and I actually reading historical fiction however, things surrounding the Titanic always catch my eye. I think the Titanic and it's story catches alot of peoples eyes. 

The novel isn't particularly fast paced, I would say I read this at a pretty average pace. The characters were very interesting and I loved reading about each one of them. Although some may see Annie Hebbley as the main character, there was a large chunk of the book that wasn't surrounding her. 

I really had no idea which direction this book was going to go in and how it related to the Titanic. There was some strange goings on throughout but I felt that they were never amounting to anything. I would have given this book 5 stars however I felt that the eventual ending and what really happened in the end fell short of this. It wasn't what I was expecting in the end and really fell short of what this book could have been. 

Overall, I would recommend this book to anyone looking for something a little different in the world of the Titanic. I wouldn't class this as an all out horror novel at all. Maybe a bit mysterious but that's all. 

Happy reading :) 

0 comments:

Post a Comment