The 100 by kass Morgan


3 stars

So season two has just finished for The 100. I have enjoyed watching the series so far and looking forward to the next season. I decided to read the book version of The 100 as I had heard that there were differences in characters and plots. For those of you not watching the programme or haven't read the books, here is a general premise: 

The last of the human race are currently living in space, and have been for around three centuries now. For those under the age of 18 years old, once you have committed a crime, you are sent to confinement before having a retrial to decide your fate on your 18th birthday. Those given a guilty sentence or above the age of 18, are automatically given the death sentence and sent on their way to space. Now, 100 prisoners who haven't reached 18 are being sent to Earth to see whether it is habitable again. 

Now, the book version of The 100 focuses on four main characters and shifts between their perspectives. These characters are: Clarke, Wells, Bellamy and Glass. Glass does not feature in the 100's TV version and in the book, is the only main character who is in space. The other three have managed to get to Earth. Bellamy is also the only character there by choice to look after his sister. For those of you watching only the TV version of The 100, I don't want to give much away in the sense of Clarke, Wells and Bellamy. However, reasons for confinement and families are different to the TV show. There are also a few characters which are missing from the book but are in the TV show such as Raven, Jasper and Finn. Though, the first book only finishes at the end of a week or possibly two weeks of being on the ground, there is still time for other characters to be mentioned - there are 100 after all! 

I only gave this book 3 stars for a few reasons. I really enjoyed the TV show and thus I found that I may have enjoyed the book more had I not already watched the show and known most of what should be happening. There aren't any MASSIVE differences in storyline, or anything that would effect the future of the storyline. Also, when I first started reading the book, in each characters perspective, there is a few pages where the typing changes to a different font and is now reading from the past. This is not obvious at first and for the majority of the book annoyed me at the random shifts to the past. I did like knowing about the past, there was a couple of good 'oh my god' moments. This could have been done so much better and stopped so much confusion. 

Overall, the general premise of the book is good but I do prefer the TV version more. I have enjoyed reading Glass's character more than anyone else's and I look forward to seeing her fate more than anyone else's. I also look forward to seeing what happens next and how much it sticks to the TV show storyline. A decent read but nothing really outstanding in terms of writing skill. A reasonably original storyline though. 

Happy reading :) 

0 comments:

Post a Comment