Mr Mercedes by Stephen King


4 Stars.

Yey, so I finally finished this! And not because it wasn't such a good book. This is the first book I've finally finished as an audiobook. The book is read by Will Patton and it was read so well. I enjoyed the way he read the book and put on different voices for each character. Sometimes I even enjoyed the way he read the book more than the actual book and its storyline. I have tried to listen to other audibooks a few times but I just haven't like the narrator. I was listening to the Atlantis Gene as well but gave it up as I just could not stand the way it was read and ended up just buying the book to read myself. Anyway's, back to my Mr Mercedes review. 

The book follows a retired detective, Bill Hodges, who retired whilst the 'Mercedes' killer was still at large. Once retired however, Hodges becomes involved in the case as the killer contacts him through a chat room; Under Debbies blue umbrella (I love that chat room name and how it relates to the book cover by the way). There isn't much else to say about the general premise mind, and the cover of the book doesn't say much else either so I don't want to give too much away. However, the reader does know exactly who the killer is throughout the book as the book switches between the killer and Hodges. 

This is supposed to be Stephen King's first real detective story and to say it was a 'first', it is very well written and definitely something people who enjoy detective/crime books would enjoy. This is also the first book in a trilogy which will involve Hodges as a main character. Finders Keepers is out now and I am definitely thinking that I will listen to this book as an audiobook as well as it too is read by Will Patton. Knowing who the killer is throughout the book wasn't exactly a twist killer or anything and in the case of this book, made sense to do. The other characters don't know who it is and it can be just as frustrating knowing who it is and shouting 'you know them!' than it is wanting to know who it is. 

Overall, another great book by King and definitely great to see that he can write something a little more than horror - it showed off his great writing skills and how he can change them to suit the genre. I cannot wait to read the next book in the series!

Happy reading :) 



0 comments:

Post a Comment