The Asylum by John Harwood


3.5 Stars. 

Well, this book has taken me quite some time to get through. Overall, I did enjoy it, but you will see why below why it took me so long to get through and the reasons for my rating. 

The book follows the narrative of Georgina Ferrars who has 'voluntarily' checked herself into Tragannon House, a private asylum. When she wakes, she is told that she checked herself in under the name Lucy Ashton. Dr Straker then confirms through a wire that Georgina Ferrars is at home with her uncle. Over the next few weeks, Georgina must prove that she is the Georgina Ferrars, find out who the woman is living with her uncle and her missing belongings. Georgina tells her story of her entire past and uncovers her family secrets. 

I love a good mystery and especially a good mystery when it is set in an asylum. These two things are what drew me to this book. However, it took me almost forever to get through the first 100 pages of this book and it is not a particularly long book (around 250 pages). Reading Georgina's background is overwhelmingly descriptive and at this, I just found it a little boring for me. Once I actually passed the boring parts however and started getting to what was actually going on, the mysteries and unravelling them, the story definitely picked up. I wouldn't say it was extremely shocking or wondrous to find out what was happening but it was a decent enough turn of events. 

I really enjoyed the characters overall and how the writing style was reflective of the time period. I do think some people will be put off by the beginning of this book but I would urge everyone to keep going; it gets so much better and pays off in the end. This book was recommended through my Goodreads recommendations for reading 'The Girl who couldn't Read' - that is definitely a book I will always recommend. 

Overall, I liked it. I'm glad I carried on with it to find out what happened as it was completely worth finding out and somewhat unexpected. 

Happy reading :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment