The Nightwalker by Sebastian Fitzek

My rating: 2.5 Stars


Genres: Thriller


Date finished: 23/4/17


Date published: 07/01/16


Synopsis from Goodreads: 






As a young man, Leon Nader suffered from insomnia. As a nightwalker, he even turned to violence during his nocturnal excursions and had psychiatric treatment for his condition. Eventually, he was convinced he had been cured - but one day, years later, Leon's wife disappears from their flat under mysterious circumstances. Could it be that his illness has broken out again?
In order to find out how he behaves in his sleep, Leon fits a movement activated camera to his forehead - and when he looks at the video the next morning he makes a discovery that bursts the borders of his imagination. His nocturnal personality goes through a door that is totally unknown to him and descends into the darkness....
My review: 
So I have been stuck in a bit of a reading rut since getting to this book. It took me ages to finish this and to even get round to reviewing it on my blog here. I would like to think all of us avid readers out there get a little bit like this from time to time when I can't figure out what I want to read or there's too much choice. But, I'm starting to get back into my rhythm hopefully.
I had been looking forward to reading it but unfortunately it didn't live up to my expectation. The synopsis was great, the ideas were definitely all there, but unfortunately the writing wasn't that good at all. I was completely confused for the first several chapters. Fitzek had a bad habit of switching from the past to the present in the matter of the same sentence/paragraph. I had no idea whether I was reading something that was the present or whether Leon was talking about his past. It was so ridiculous. The only reason I have given this book any kind of reasonable rating is the whole ideas behind the book and the ending.
Overall, a great idea but a complete let down by the pretty poor writing. Well, they cannot all be great books! Onto the next one!
Happy reading :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment