Madam Tulip and the Bones of Chance by David Ahern

My Rating: 5 Stars.



Date finished: 2/4/18



Date published: 03/18




Synopsis from Goodreads: 





A surprise role in a movie takes actress Derry O’Donnell to a romantic castle in the Scottish Highlands. But romance soon turns to fear and suspicion. Someone means to kill, and Derry, moonlighting as celebrity fortune-teller Madam Tulip, is snared in a net of greed, conspiracy and betrayal.

A millionaire banker, a film producer with a mysterious past, a gun-loving wife, a PA with her eyes on Hollywood, a handsome and charming estate manager—each has a secret to share and a request for Madam Tulip. 
As Derry and her friend Bruce race to prevent a murder, she learns to her dismay that the one future Tulip can’t predict is her own.

Madame Tulip is the third in a series of thrilling and hilarious Tulip adventures in which Derry O’Donnell, celebrity fortune-teller and reluctant amateur detective, plays the most exciting and perilous roles of her acting life, drinks borage tea, and fails to understand her parents.


My Review: 

This is the third book in the Madam Tulip series and I have to say it is my favourite so far. I have given previous books in this series four stars each, but this one definitely deserved a five star rating. I really enjoyed the setting of this book much more than the previous books and this had a big impact on my rating as well. The way Ahern has written this book and developed the characters through the series shows and I can say without a doubt that Derry and co. are growing along with the series. 

Ahern has really developed a great character with Madam Tulip and the characters that surround her such as Bruce and her parents. This series would not have been something I would have normally picked up in a bookstore and I love when I find I series that I love for being so different to my usual reading tastes and also different in its genre. I can really imagine all the characters and the way they talk in my head which is always a great thing for me. Derry is definitely my favourite character, and not just because she is the main character. I really do enjoy the way she takes in her Madam Tulip side character and the way she interacts with other characters; especially her parents. I automatically have a smile on my face when she speaks to them.The book is a fast paced read and can easily be read as a stand alone to the other two books which for me is a very good sign of a great writer. 

The Madam Tulip series brings something new to the crime/adventure genre (I'm not very good at placing books in genres mind!) that we should all be diving into. I would also especially recommend this book to people who like reading a good 'who done it' but don't want all the gritty/dark side of that type of genre. 

Overall, this book really upped the game for Madam Tulip and I really wonder where the next one will take us! I always look forward to the next book in the Madam Tulip series and I am really hoping it will continue for some time. 

Happy reading :) 

0 comments:

Post a Comment