The Girl in Red by Christina Henry

My Rating: 3 Stars




Date Finished: 20/09/19




Date Published:18/06/19




Goodreads Synopsis:



It's not safe for anyone alone in the woods. There are predators that come out at night: critters and coyotes, snakes and wolves. But the woman in the red jacket has no choice. Not since the Crisis came, decimated the population, and sent those who survived fleeing into quarantine camps that serve as breeding grounds for death, destruction, and disease. She is just a woman trying not to get killed in a world that doesn't look anything like the one she grew up in, the one that was perfectly sane and normal and boring until three months ago.

There are worse threats in the woods than the things that stalk their prey at night. Sometimes, there are men. Men with dark desires, weak wills, and evil intents. Men in uniform with classified information, deadly secrets, and unforgiving orders. And sometimes, just sometimes, there's something worse than all of the horrible people and vicious beasts combined.

Red doesn't like to think of herself as a killer, but she isn't about to let herself get eaten up just because she is a woman alone in the woods...


My Review: 

I have read the Alice series by Henry and really enjoyed that but haven't yet been sparked to read the other books she has released such as the little mermaid take or Peter Pan take. This one however, I did really fancy reading. The Alice series has a lot going for it and I feel as though the other books may never live up to how good that was. The Girl in Red was a good read but as I thought, didn't live up to Alice. 

This felt like a mixture of Henry's usual idea of fairytale turned horror mixed in with some post-apocalyptic take on the genre. So while the world is dying, Red makes the decision that she must get to her Grandmothers house so as to be safe from the outside world and the Crisis. Red also has an artificial leg which I quite liked the idea of and was a bit fresh. The story developed at a timely pace and I really liked the characters. I think my only downfall was that it wasn't as exciting as I wanted it to bed and not enough happened for me. 

Overall, it was a decent read. I will carry on picking up anymore books that Henry rolls out as long as I like the synopsis. I do hope she writes more Alice ones though. 

Happy reading. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment