What's New...


OK guys, so here is a reasonably longer winded post about some upcoming books/tv, and what I'm currently reading and watching. At the beginning of writing this blog I did a couple of posts about TV and ratings for each episode - this is quite hard to keep on top of so I will just give you an overview of what's about for me at the moment. 

Orphan Black. 




Orphan Black was recommended to me by a student of mine - the premise was a good one. The story follows Sarah who, at the beginning of the very first episode, witnesses a woman commit suicide. As she does so, the woman looks at Sarah and she is an exact replica of her. So Sarah takes the unknown woman's belongings and takes on her identity. Originally, Sarah does this to take all her cash and leave with her daughter, Kiera. There is so much more to the story and I wasn't given anymore to go on other than a general overview. When I first began watching Orphan Black, I was a little unsure on whether I would enjoy it due to the way Sarah was. However, I was hooked. I watched the whole first series in two days. Definitely something to watch if you look shows with twists, a bit of mystery yet there is a more sciencey side to the story. 

Helix


Helix is currently half way through season two. The first season began as an outbreak at an Arctic biosystems facility. The story was a little slow in places (but did the show justice for doing this) and each episode acts as one day in the outbreak. The characters are all somewhat intertwined with one another but I cannot say anymore on the characters as that would be spoilers! There is so much more than the outbreak story though and so many underlining plot lines. Season two jumps ahead 6 months and runs two different story lines in different times but in the same place. Season two does have a Lost feeling to it and keeps you questioning as to what is actually going on. Questions are answered slowly however and keeps you wanting more. I love science style plot lines and this is definitely one for people who watch shows like 'The Strain' and watched 'Fringe'. 

Bates Motel



Bates Motel started its third season this week and I have yet to watch the first episode but have finished season one and two. Bates Motel serves as a prequel to Hitchcock's Psycho and follows young Norman and his mother, Norma, who moves to their new home in White Pine Bay. The home comes with motel which they do up and run. The premise of this show is pretty general and there aren't too many plot twists. Despite this, the show is good. I enjoy watching it and the acting is really good. I have seen Vera Farmiga (Norma) in a number of films previously but not in a TV show - and she acts really well. Freddie Highmore (Norman) takes a little more getting used to but overall a good cast and a great show. For those who watch crime/thriller like dramas, here is another show you may like to give a watch. 

Ink and Bone by Rachel Caine



For those of you who have not heard of Rachel Caine, she writes the Morganville Vampire series and the Weather Warden series. I have only read the Morganville vampire series however. I have most of the collection of these books but have only read up to around book six so far and not out of not wanting to read them, I love this series. There are just so many books that I want to get through. Anyways, I devoured each of the vampire books easily in one sitting, they were such page turners and now that I've heard that Caine is writing a new series, I really cannot wait. The book isn't out until July and follows a world where the Great Library of Alexandria has survived. The book plays a part in every major city, but whereby ownership of books are forbidden. Jess, the main protagonist I assume, creates a device which could change the fate of the Great Library and the world. Although seem people may think, 'oh, a story about a library, not very interesting'. But to me, readers of Caine, and a large proportion of the book world are looking forward to this. Me especially. Oh, and I love the book cover, another reason to own this book!

End of Days by Susan Ee 




Penryn and the end of days series has to be one of my all time favourite series of books. Alas, the series is coming to an end with book three coming out in May. I am hoping to read the first two books before it comes out as a recap and just because I can. The plot follows mankind as they are set into battle against angels. Penryn's sister is taken from her in the first book and she must take it upon herself to get her back. But as Penryn goes through her journey she stumbles across an angel and takes him with her. There is so much more to the story than this and I cannot begin to go on about how much I love this series of books. It may seem like a little out of my age range or whimsy but I love it all the same. Everyone should read this book at least once! 

So there is what's going on, for me at least! Happy reading :) 

2 comments:

  1. I think we share the same tastes! I love Orphan Black. It just gets better and better. Helix had me on the edge of my seat during the first season, but I can't get into it this year.

    I keep looking for End of Days on NetGalley. I loved the first two books, and waiting 2 more months for the finish is just too long. Not that I don't have enough books to read in the mean time.

    Ink and Bone sounds great. I can't believe I haven't heard of it before now. I've added it to my TBR pile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to see someone else watching/reading the same! I did prefer the first season of Helix due to the location etc but I still like the not knowing part and the change in the two eras.

    We'll both have to make sure we keep our eyes and ears open if End of Days does come up, hopefully Ink and Bone will come up too.

    Any suggestions on books/TV are welcome too :)

    ReplyDelete