The Scarlet Gospels by Clive Barker


4 Stars

I know I haven't posted for a few weeks or so lately and I did actually finish this book a few weeks ago but just haven't had the time to upload my review till now. I haven't read any of Barker's books before now and before purchasing the book I did a little research. I have heard of pinhead and the hellraiser franchise films, but never actually watched any. So I went on the hunt to see if there were any more books about pinhead before this one; which there is one other. However, from reading some reviews it seems that this book can easily be read as a standalone book. 

The story follows our hell priest, known by pinhead to a large majority (which he hates by the way), also known as a cenobite. The priest is on a mission of sorts to collect as much magic and power from magicians and other sorts as possible so that he can join forces/take over hell and Lucifer. We also follow our main protagonist as such, Harry D'Amour who is a private investigator for spirits with his help from a few friends. Harry ends up in hell to rescue one of his friends from pinhead. 

When reading the blurb for this book, it really sounded good and overall was a pretty good read. The book starts out with pinhead savagely killing some magicians and this part is really in-depth with its description of gore. Now, I don't mind a bit of gore and do read books with quite a bit in, but at the same time I was hoping the book didn't continuously focus on the gore aspect, which it didn't just do. There was plenty of other things going on and I do quite fancy the other books in which D'Amour appears in to see what they are like. There is also a lot of language and sexual references in this book which didn't bother me too much and didn't put me off reading, but maybe avoid this book if that isn't really your thing. 

I have read a number of reviews from people saying how much they have been waiting for a book by Barker for adults with the return of pinhead etc, so for those of you who have read his other books, this will be a good read for you and was certainly a good read as a standalone book. 

Happy reading :) 

0 comments:

Post a Comment