Heroes and Villains: Pawn in the Game by Tara R.


4 Stars.

I was asked by the author of this book if I would kindly read her self-published new novel to review. I know some reviewers aren't overly keen on reading self-published book but we cannot all afford to go the traditional publishing route. So well done for you Tara for taking the leap to even write a book!

The novel follows Aurora as our main character who fights for the justice of those less fortunate. However, one day when she is trying to save the life of her professor, she is somewhat rescued and taken to the Imperium; a secret organisation run by magic. Aurora and Professor are then involved in a search for a missing piece at the Imperium. The story is not just about Aurora's place within the world and the choices she makes, but also the interference of the Shadow Kingdoms and their politics. 

So now the reason for my four star review! This book involves plentiful in the way of characterization and plot. The numerous stories running through the book from a few different characters helps bulk up the plot and this is done rather well. Moreover, the writing really flowed throughout and there was plenty of twists and story to keep you going. Although the story is overall centred on Aurora as we take her view point in numerous chapters, there was plenty of back story for the other main characters to keep everyone involved and further the plot. I wouldn't say that I 'loved' any of the characters anymore than any of the other characters but I certainly didn't hate any of them; I just enjoyed the characters for what they were and the parts they played. 

There wasn't any real issues for me with this book overall. The only somewhat negative comment I have to say is that there were some grammar/sentence/spelling issues. I spend a large amount of my time at work reading essays and my students work that this is almost like a second job for me. I do become a little obsessed with these issues and I have read some great books by top authors which have had the same issues. It is certainly not a reason to not read this book and it didn't put me off as you can see. I would just suggest to ANY reader to check these and I certainly in no way hope this is taken the wrong way by Tara or future readers.

So, overall, definitely worth a read to anyone reading the fantasy genre and would like to add some new authors to that list. Also to mention, this book is free to anyone with a kindle unlimited subscription (even better!). Good luck with the next book in the series and hope to read again soon!

Happy reading :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment