Off To See The Wizard by Clay Johnson


4.5 Stars. 

This was another book that I was asked by the author if I would read and review for them. Thank you again Clay for the request! 

The book is written through case files by the Grand Inquisitor's investigation into the Misery Reach debacle and shows an in depth look at to what really happens after the quest. Each of the characters make their case and explain their actions throughout the case files. I also wanted to include this part from the back of the book:
 
         Did the Demon Lord Krevassius really try to end the world just to impress a girl? Would everyone be better off if the Wizard Galbraith hadn't invented a quest in order to stave off criticism? And what about the an elf queen peeing on a Minotaur? A swordsman's losing battle with a young raccoon? And the transvestite assassin with a heart of gold? 

Now, with my review. This book was certainly not something I would just normally pick up off a shelf, and as you can see I was pleasantly surprised. The book is very well written and I really enjoyed reading all the different characters and what they went through. It wasn't the actual plot that kept me interested overall and what was happening with the quest as such, it was each individuals storyline and the part they took in the story. It can be a little confusing to start with as there are quite a lot of characters to keep up with, but it does start coming together towards the end of the first section. Even though I didn't always have a clue on what was happening with the quest, I was definitely happy reading what was going on from character to character. It almost felt like mini quests/storylines throughout the quest and whether this was intentional or not, I really enjoyed that. Characterization was brilliant, writing flowed throughout and each character had their own personality which I could imagine very clearly. 

There isn't really anything negative that I have to say about this book. The only reason I shaved off half a star from my rating was that it wasn't something I would normally read and I just couldn't decide if I was completely in love with it. This was a great piece of writing and would definitely be a five star rating for many future readers!

Overall, this is definitely a great start to a hopefully a great career for Clay Johnson and hopefully there will be many more books to come!

Happy reading :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment