The Oversight by Charlie Fletcher


4 Stars.

So, I've owned this book for a few months now and with my growing book pile I definitely needed to read it before it got pushed back again. I really love a good book in the fantasy/supernatural style genre and this was the reason I picked this up the first time. Also, I thought it sounded a little different in its genre. So. more about the lovely book I read!

The Oversight is an organisation kept in secret where they uphold 'the law and the lore' between the magical and mundane worlds. The Oversight is currently down to its last five members, known as the last hand. One night, the Oversight are brought a screaming girl. The girl is wearing a broken ring which one of our main characters, Sara Falk, recognises and is then eager to help her. However, the events which follow the Oversight and their new proposed member could lead to their destruction. 

Well, this was an unexpected read. The book is set in a Victorian style London and is written through multiple perspectives in each chapter. I really enjoyed the setting of this book and it certainly worked. I enjoyed the way the world felt dark and gritty in London. I also enjoyed the multiple perspectives, although sometimes I did find the flip too soon in the odd chapter. The writing also worked so well with the set up of the book and the world building that went with it. There was times too when there was a little too much description and that made for the over all book dragging a little here and there. 

The characters in this book were great. I loved all of them, even the ones you would describe as the antagonists or bad guys. They all worked so well bouncing off one another and they were developed so well.There wasn't masses of back story but I found that a lot of my questions about the past were answered. Don't get me wrong, there was some twists mixed in throughout and I do enjoy a good cliffhanger; but that wasn't so much in this book. The story left us wanting more and there wasn't much in the way of a cliffhanger, but the way in which this book was written and worked, it felt right to end as it did. 

Overall, this was something a little different and I'm always looking for something new. This was a dark book and also had a Gothic feel to it which I loved. However, if you are look for something fast paced, this is definitely not for you - I read a lot of fast paced books and I enjoy them too but I still enjoyed this in a different way. All in all, I'm looking forward to the next one!

Happy reading :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment