City of Light by Keri Arthur


4 Stars

Well, this was an interesting book to review. As I read the first 100 pages of this book, I was certain I was about to DNF it or end up giving it such a poor rating. My 4 stars are certainly a big turnaround!

Our story follows our main character, Tiger, a dechet (a breed of super human mixed with others) who has spent the last 100 years living in hiding. Before the time of hiding, there was a war due to the veil between our world and the world of others being torn. The veil brought in demons, wraiths and vampires. Now, however, the world is mostly populated by humans and shifters, living in cities consumed by light 24 hours a day to keep the darkness at bay. However, when Tiger ventures out of her military bunker to save a child, she becomes strung into a new battle to save the children that have been taken from the nearby cities. 

I do love a good fantasy style novel, which was the reason I bought this book. I haven't read anything previously by Keri Arthur and went into this book completely blind. When I first began reading this book, there was a lot of back story and world building. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind back story and certainly feel it is needed. However, I started to get a little bored and wondered if there was actually going to be any action or any more story. Well, I was completely shocked when the story changed and the story really started. I couldn't put it down after that. I wouldn't say this story was full of twists, but there was the odd thing that made the story more compelling.. Overall, I really enjoyed all of the characters, especially Tiger. I felt that I was almost in the story with her at some points. The book overall is very well written too. I really cannot wait to read the next book in the series. 

Overall, if you are in the boring stage of this book, please carry on! I believe that a lot of Arthur's previous readers will also really enjoy this new series. I'm always looking for something slightly new and different in the fantasy genre, and this was certainly it. I would have given this book 5 stars if it had not been for those first 100 pages or so, but I will be keeping a look out. 

Happy reading :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment