HEX by Thomas Olde Heuvelt


5 Stars. 

I have been wanting to read this book for ages! Though I didn't want to part with the extortionate amount Amazon wanted for a hardbook copy and so waited for it to come out in paperback. I don't actually have this version of the cover and I am a little disappointed as this is my favourite cover for this book. But anyways, I loved it. I am so glad I wasn't disappointed. Here's a synopsis: 

The streets of Black Spring are haunted by the Black Rock Witch who has been taking to the streets and people's homes for around 350 years. Her hands are shackled, and her eyes and mouth are sewn shut. As the Emergency Decree of the town states, her eyes must never be opened. To stop the curse from spreading, a high-tech surveillance system is used and people can report where the witch pops up using the HEXapp. However, a few teenagers have become bored and sick of being quarantined and decide they want out of the town and for the witch's presence to go viral. Their actions have dark consequences for everyone...

When starting this book, I realise some people may be wondering why some people have found this such a creepy book when the witch does seem relatively harmless and her whereabouts are continuously monitored using surveillance and the app. I certainly agree that it doesn't seem scary, but please keep reading! It gets so much better and I utterly loved it. The descriptions of the scenes, the background of incidents where the witch has killed under supernatural pretences and the whole background of the witch herself were amazing. I wish there were so many others book like it. I really cannot give too much away of what happens to the town or the main characters we follow, but some seriously awful things happen and it is just so well written/described. I read this book in two sittings and it does have a certain fast paced reading style to it even with all the descriptions. 

Another point to make is that the ending of this book and the several chapters leading up to it are completely different to the original Dutch version of this book. Heuvelt has stated that he wanted to rewrite that part of the book. I have absolutely no idea what happened in the original but I don't think you will be disappointed in the ending of the English version. So get reading! This is probably my best book of the year!

Overall, as you can probably tell, I loved it. Everyone who loves a bit of a scare or reading the horror genre should read this. When I bought this book from Waterstones, the woman at the desk said she loved it and she isn't usually a horror book kind of person, so you might still love it!

Happy reading :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment