Johannes Cabal The Necromancer by Jonathan Howard


4 Stars

I picked this book up due to a recommendation of sorts through Book Riot when they did a post about books to read about the devil. This is the first in a series by Howard and has been out for some time now. This was a reasonably good read, I enjoyed but I wouldn't say that I utterly loved it. 

The book follows Johannes Cabal as our main character who sold his soul to the devil. He now wants to make a wager with the devil to get his soul back. He must collect 100 souls in 1 year, with the only help being from a travelling carnival. The book follows his yearly collection, with help from his brother Horst and numerous characters created within the demonic carnival. 

What I did enjoy about this book was the characters, the way it was written and the ending. The characters were really interesting and I really enjoyed the way Cabal was written. He had a lot of wit and charm, some really good lines and how he never seemed to rush anything. The book had a reasonable fast pace but did slow down in some places too. There was odd little bit in the book (such as the escapees from the mental asylum) that I didn't enjoy as much as other parts. The ending was very creative I thought too, it was certainly something I didn't expect. I do think I will pick up the next book in the series eventually too, I would like to see where the story could go next. 

Overall, this was a good book that I enjoyed. It wasn't the best I've ever read and there were some slow parts. My favourite part of the book was definitely the beginning, end and the overall witty nature. I think most fans of reading about the devil will enjoy this addition.

Happy reading :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment