Cradle and All by James Patterson


My rating: 3 Stars

Genres: 

Date read: 30/1/17

Publication date: 


Synopsis from Goodreads: 








In Boston, a young woman finds herself pregnant--even though she is still a virgin.
In Ireland, another young woman discovers she is in the same impossible condition.
And in cities all around the world, medical authorities are overwhelmed by epidemics, droughts, famines, floods, and worse. It all feels like a sign that something awful is coming.

Anne Fitzgerald, a former nun turned private investigator, is hired by the Archdiocese of Boston to investigate the immaculate conceptions. Even as she comes to care about and trust the young women, she realizes that both are in great danger. Terrifying forces of light and darkness are gathering. Stepping into uncharted territory where the unknown is just the beginning, Anne must discover the truth--to save the young women, to save herself, and to protect the future of all mankind.

Review:

I've never actually read a James Patterson book before despite the large volume that he is constantly putting out there. This was a very average read and although I read it in only two sittings, I didn't find Patterson's work to be all the great. For someone who has a large following, I did expect more. I have read books much better than this from much less known authors too. So to start my review, here's a quick plot summary:

Somehow I have managed to read two books in a row with a religious stance on it. Although this was also heavily reliant on the religious part, it didn't feel as overwhelming as the last book. Things I enjoyed in this book were the characters and the ending. I had no idea how the ending came about it, but it was quite a twist. The characters were rather enjoyable and Anne was definitely my favourite character. The writing was good and very fast paced, but I didn't feel it was very original (other than the ending). The chapters were way too short and I felt like I was constantly trying to keep up with which character was doing what. If this was a film and they used the different viewpoints this way, the film would be totally unwatchable. As the end grew nearer, the chapters felt even more dizzying! 

Overall, this book filled in a space. It was average. Could have been better, but could have also been worse! I'm not sure if I plan to read anymore of Patterson's books but I may take a little look. 

Happy reading :) 

0 comments:

Post a Comment