The Butterfly Garden by Dot Hutchison


My rating: 4 Stars.

Genres: Thriller, Mystery, Crime, Horror.

Date read: 20/2/17

Publication date: 1/6/16




Synopsis from Goodreads: 






Near an isolated mansion lies a beautiful garden.

In this garden grow luscious flowers, shady trees…and a collection of precious “butterflies”—young women who have been kidnapped and intricately tattooed to resemble their namesakes. Overseeing it all is the Gardener, a brutal, twisted man obsessed with capturing and preserving his lovely specimens.

When the garden is discovered, a survivor is brought in for questioning. FBI agents Victor Hanoverian and Brandon Eddison are tasked with piecing together one of the most stomach-churning cases of their careers. But the girl, known only as Maya, proves to be a puzzle herself.

As her story twists and turns, slowly shedding light on life in the Butterfly Garden, Maya reveals old grudges, new saviors, and horrific tales of a man who’d go to any length to hold beauty captive. But the more she shares, the more the agents have to wonder what she’s still hiding...


My review: 

This has been on my Kindle for quite some time now and sometimes it does take me a little longer to get round to reading Kindle books as I do generally prefer physical books. The premise of this book sounded so good, and it was overall a rather unexpected read. 

Maya is an interesting character. You read the book from her point of view mostly, but from the readers view point when she is in custody/present day. You want to feel sorry for her, but honestly, I didn't. You feel like she is on the 'garden'. What I definitely didn't like about this book is that you find out way too early on who the gardener is. I mean, you know from the beginning that Maya has been found and that the rest of the 'butterflies' are in the hospital so something happened, but I felt like we should have waited until the end to find out who he is. The story didn't feel overall secretive, so why did I even enjoy it? 

The whole Maya storyline is very intriguing. That's what draws you in and carries you until the end of the book. What's her plan? How do they all get out? She is definitely holding something back. I enjoyed finding out all these answers. The book is written at a very fast pace too and I think I read this in two days. The concept is really great too. A lot of readers also really enjoyed this book and I can see why. I wish I had picked it up earlier too. The synopsis really pulls you in, but be expected to find this completely different to what you expected. 

Overall, An intriguing read. I really loved the concept and the overall story. There could have been a few tweaks but really great anyways. 

Happy reading :) 

0 comments:

Post a Comment