Frankenstein: Dead and Alive by Dean Koontz


My rating: 3 Stars


Genres: Horror, thriller, fantasy.


Date read: 22/2/17


Publication date: 28/7/09


Synopsis from Goodreads: 





A devastating hurricane approaches New Orleans and Victor Helios, once known was Frankenstein, has unleashed his benighted creatures onto the streets. As New Orleans descends into chaos, his engineered killers spin out of control, and the only hope rests with Victor's first and failed attempt to build the perfect human, whose damned path has led him to the ultimate confrontation with his pitiless creator. But first, Deucalion must destroy a monstrosity not even Victor's malignant mind could have imagined - an indestructible entity that steps out of humankind's collective nightmare with one purpose: to replace us.

My review: 

I started this series a few years ago but had yet to get round to reading the third book in the series. I enjoy this series, the first two books were really great and I love Koontz's twist on the Frankenstein idea. This book however, dragged on a little. 

The two detectives that are quite prominent don't feel so much in this book. The book seems to focus more on the failings of the new race and how Deucalion plans to stop Victor. My favourite parts of this book are definitely reading about what Erika Helios is up to. You kind of feel sorry for her even though she is Victor's creation Koontz definitely knows how to write and his descriptions are excellent. Although this book I feel isn't meant to be too fast paced, it is very easy to read this in just a few sittings like I did. I think the main downfalls for me were that not that much actually happened in this book. The two books before like I said were much better and this felt like a downfall after reading them. I'm not sure where the next book could go really but I will probably read it just to find out. The series made a really great start but is slowly declining. 

Overall, I love Koontz's writing and his ideas. This one however, didn't live up to the previous books in the series! 

Happy reading :) 

0 comments:

Post a Comment