Rachel Caine's Morganville Vampire Series: Books 1-4




My rating: 5 Stars


Genres: YA, Fantasy, Vampires.


Date Read: Book 4 finished on 1/3/17 (re-read)


Date published: First book published 3/1/2006



Goodreads synopsis of first book:





From the author of the popular Weather Warden series comes the debut of an exciting new series set in Morganville, Texas, where you would be well advised to avoid being out after dark.

College freshman Claire Danvers has had enough of her nightmarish dorm situation. When Claire heads off-campus, the imposing old house where she finds a room may not be much better. Her new roommates don't show many signs of life, but they'll have Claire's back when the town's deepest secrets come crawling out, hungry for fresh blood. Will she be able to face the town's terror or will she drown like everyone else?


My Review: 

I originally started this series forever ago. At least 7 years ago. However, I never finished it so I decided I would start again from the first book and actually finish the series this time. I won't be doing reviews for each book in the series but probably a review every 3-4 books. So I am still reading and I haven't been silent for a few weeks! 

I don't want to mention too much about each of the plots for each book but I will say that even though I've just finished the fourth book, I wouldn't say that a lot of time has actually passed. Claire is still sixteen and is now majoring in some serious classes due to Amelie's influence. What I like about these books are how quick, easy and interesting they are. They are definitely of the late teens/YA sort of age range and I can tell this when reading compared to what I would 'normally' read these days. I mostly picked these up again because I wanted to finish them. My younger self definitely loved them and I would say if you are of an older age now i.e. 25 or so, you will feel how these are written for a younger age. I am not a massive fan of vampires, however, I do enjoy vampire stories where they are much more violent and of the horror kind, definitely of the Twilight kind. These is somewhere in the middle. There are numerous occasions where Shane is in hospital and Claire is getting in trouble so there is an element of violence. However, not as violent as say True Blood. There is also not massive amounts of explicit scenes; Claire and Shane are together but not yet sleeping together and there are scenes of Claire wanting to. However, they are just explicit enough that you can feel how Claire feels but not as over the top as again, True Blood - I don't tend to read sexy romancey type books, so very hard to make any comparisons here. 

I can also see Caine's development in her writing skills when you go back and read this series compared to reading her new series about The Great Library. Which is great. All the books are also very fast paced and so easy to read one of these in a day. The only reason I haven't is because of other commitments such as work etc. As I was reading this I could definitely remember some bits from my previous readings but now I have finished the fourth book, I really have no memory of the fifth, so hopefully that will be more of a surprise!

Overall, looking forward to carrying on the series. Hopefully our slightly younger generation (16-23 I would say) will keep reading this series and enjoying it as much as I did. 

Happy reading :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment