Rattle by Fiona Cummins


My rating: 4 Stars. 


Genres: Thriller, Mystery, Crime. 



Date read: 26/3/17




Publication date: 26/1/17








Synopsis from Goodreads: 


A psychopath more frightening than Hannibal Lecter.

He has planned well. He leads two lives. In one he's just like anyone else. But in the other he is the caretaker of his family's macabre museum.

Now the time has come to add to his collection. He is ready to feed his obsession, and he is on the hunt.

Jakey Frith and Clara Foyle have something in common. They have what he needs.

What begins is a terrifying cat-and-mouse game between the sinister collector, Jakey's father and Etta Fitzroy, a troubled detective investigating a spate of abductions.

Set in London's Blackheath, Rattle by Fiona Cummins explores the seam of darkness that runs through us all; the struggle between light and shadow, redemption and revenge.

It is a glimpse into the mind of a sinister psychopath. And it's also a story about not giving up hope when it seems that all hope is already lost.

Review: 

So you may have noticed I have decided to slightly change the way I review by having my synopses taken from Goodreads and no longer in my own words. I have decided to start doing this as sometimes I find it extremely difficult to write it in my own words and it even sometimes puts me off writing my review right away - yes, this may be annoying for some of you but surely my thoughts are more important than what the book is about? 

I originally read/heard about this book from another blog I follow where the reviews are literally just crime/thriller/mystery, so obviously a heaven of recommendations for me! Anyways, what drew me into this book was the idea of this really frightening psychopath who is collecting bones for his own personal museum. The writers of the blog I follow gave this book 5 stars and I couldn't wait to start it. Overall, the book was a really great read, the writing was strong and the psychopath was really interesting. Although a great book, I personally wouldn't give this book 5 stars. Why? I was just expecting a little bit more terrifying? I didn't feel as though we were waiting around corners scared to death as to whether he will strike again or do something terrible to the children. It wasn't explicit enough for me either. We know who the psychopath is too, I would have liked a little more mystery. Despite these slight flaws, this was still a solid read and I still really enjoyed it. The writing was very strong and I enjoyed the fact that I was wondering where the Frith family fitted in the story for the first 100+ pages too. There was some good twists about their family too that I enjoyed and certainly didn't see coming and the ending was very well done and unexpected. 

Overall, this was a really enjoyable read and I would definitely recommend it to anyone who enjoys a good thriller. I will certainly keep my eyes open for anymore of Cummins books. 

Happy reading :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment