The Witchfinder's Sister by Beth Underdown

My rating: 4 Stars.


Genres: Historical Fiction, Witches.


Date finished: 5/4/17


Date published: 2/3/17


Synopsis from Goodreads: 






The number of women my brother Matthew killed, so far as I can reckon it, is one hundred and six... 

1645. When Alice Hopkins' husband dies in a tragic accident, she returns to the small Essex town of Manningtree, where her brother Matthew still lives.

But home is no longer a place of safety. Matthew has changed, and there are rumours spreading through the town: whispers of witchcraft, and of a great book, in which he is gathering women's names.

To what lengths will Matthew's obsession drive him?
And what choice will Alice make, when she finds herself at the very heart of his plan?


My review:

The first thing I want to mention about this book is the ending is amazing! One of the best endings I can remember reading for such a long time. It was definitely the best part of the book for me. I don't generally read historical fiction but this isn't just any historical fiction; it's about witchcraft. One of my favourite topics! 

The book is set in Manningtree and follows the Essex witch trials and Matthew Hopkins, both of which are actual recordings in our history before the Salem witch trials. Underdown has a done a really great job here of mixing history with fiction. The writing is really interesting too, it has an echo of the 1600s to it, but isn't completely boring and difficult to follow like some historically written books in fiction are. It isn't completely fast paced but it isn't slow either. The story works in its own way. 

I know I have only given this book 4 stars and not 5 like you may seem to think I should be giving it the way I'm reviewing here, however, I have on downfall for the book. Reviews in the books blurb etc rave about how this was a disturbing and terrifying thriller style book. I personally didn't get that feel for it. It was sort of disturbing in the way the poor women were accused for such simple things but it didn't feel terrifying. I didn't feel haunted or scared by any of it. It was a really great read still but I didn't feel the way some readers did and I would really have liked to have been. 

Overall, I did really enjoy this book. I try to pick up as many books as possible about witches and this filled that hole for a while. Would highly recommend to anyone who loves a good witch book, don't be put off by the setting in history. 

Happy reading :) 

0 comments:

Post a Comment