Madam Tulip and the Knave of Hearts by David Ahern

My rating: 4 Stars. 


Date finished: 3/6/17


Date published: 20/10/16





Synopsis from Goodreads: 






"Madam Tulip! Actress, fortune-teller, psychic, sleuth!" 

When out-of-work actress Derry O'Donnell moonlights as celebrity fortune-teller Madam Tulip in an English Stately home, she’s trying to make some cash. 
Instead, she is drawn into an alien world of wealth, titled privilege and family secrets. 

A countess once a chorus girl, a gambling earl and his daughters, a cultured and handsome art expert—all caught in a terrifying web of ghastly threats, murder and abduction. As an aristocratic engagement party turns into a nightmare, Derry and her friend Bruce face the prospect of a gruesome and infamous death. 


My review: 

I really enjoyed the first book in this series so I was looking forward to getting to pick up the second - thanks again! This is something I probably wouldn't have picked up if I saw this sitting on a shelf in Waterstones; why? Sometimes bright and colourful books make me think it might be some sort of romantic comedy, which is completely not me. However, saying that, this series does need this kind of bright and colourful cover - it wouldn't be the same otherwise! (Please don't take this is a criticism haha). 

What I particularly enjoy about this series is the characters - everytime they all talk I get this proper British snobby voice in my head and I love it. It gives me a little bit of a giggle and I am not a huge fan of comedy - this isn't comedy in the same way however. Poor Derry just constantly has no luck either yet I don't feel overly sorry for her. The goings on at the stately house were really good too; I had no idea who could be sending the Earl packages of body parts until something just clicked at around 75% of the way through the book - I think most readers will certainly catch on too but it still had a few twists that were great. 

I don't have any particular downfalls in this book, the writing is really great too and it is definitely a fast paced sort of read. I think I read this in about three sittings which is just a nice amount. The ending wasn't quite as good as the last one but not something to be put off by - sometimes more of a wrap is what is needed more than a huge cliffhanger. It still makes me want to read the next one. 

Overall, another great book in the series and I am really  hoping there are more - cannot wait to see what other poor luck Derry has going on!

Happy reading :) 

0 comments:

Post a Comment