The Enemy Within by Scott Burn

My rating: 3.5 Stars.


Date finished: 16/6/17


Date published: 24/7/16







Synopsis from Goodreads: 




Seventeen-year-old Max has always felt like an outsider. When the agonizing apocalyptic visions begin, he decides suicide is his only escape. He soon finds himself in an institution under the guidance of a therapist who sees something exceptional in him. Just as he begins to leave the hallucinations behind, Max discovers the visions weren't just in his head. 

There are three others who have shared those same thoughts and they've been searching for Max. Like him, they are something more than human. Each of them possesses certain abilities, which they're going to need when a covert military group begins hunting them down. 

As the danger escalates, Max doesn’t know which side to trust. But in the end, his choice will decide the fate of both species.


My review: 

I will start off with the positives of this book. It was a nice quick read and can easily be read in a sitting or two. It is not a particularly long book at around 160 pages or so. The beginning part of the book was my favourite part. Trying to figure out was going on with our main character Max, especially when he arrives at a mental institution. All the visions he was getting and the 'links' between the other characters he was getting was really great. As the book progressed however, I felt like it became a little less like something I would normally enjoy or pick up. For some readers however, this shouldn't be something that puts you off as I think a lot of sci-fi type readers will really enjoy this book. I don't dislike sci-fi, I am however quite picky on what I do pick up sci-fi wise and there usually needs to be other elements in the book for me. I wouldn't say this was a slow read either nor was it fast paced, it was quite a general pace for me. The writing was decent too. 

Unfortunately this book wasn't great for me but it wasn't terrible either. The whole visions and the psychiatry stuff at the beginning really had me hooked. Definitely reading other reviews on Goodreads gives me the sense that most will enjoy this!

Overall, a decent read with great elements for me and others not so great.

Happy reading :) 

Just a note on upcoming reviews - I have been falling a little behind due to demands at work and home - I hope to pick up a bit once I have finished my holiday and leave at work in a few weeks! Hopefully I will have a few to catch up on from my holiday's :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment