The Borrower by Rebecca Makkai

3 stars. 

I picked up this book several months ago from waterstones with a few other books that I wouldn't usually pick up. I usually buy horror, thriller, mystery etc. but for once really fancied something very different. I finally got round to reading this book after reading several other books I wanted to read first. Anyways back to the plot. 

Lucy works in a library in a town called Hannibal. Every day a kid called Ian comes in and she recommends him books. He devours books so quickly and he reads at quite a high standard for a 10 year old. Eventually the kid becomes from what I can tell, depressed. His mother doesn't like him reading adventurous books and wants him to read books which are more Christian like and he starts going to a Christian school on a weekend. Anyways, many months have passed and Lucy and the boy go on a 'road trip'. I won't go much further as I don't want to spoil it for any of you who decide to read the book. 

It was a decent read, decent characters and some entertaining parts and a reasonably quick read. However, it wasn't that great overall. There were a few plot holes at the end of the book and didn't make sense as to how the book ends. Also, by Lucy and Ian going on this road trip, it didn't solve any of the underlying issues in Ian's life nor Lucy's. If you like reading a pretty general book and a quick read, then read this. If you expect thrills and twists in a book, this isn't the book to read. 




0 comments:

Post a Comment