The Shining Girls

The Shining Girls by Lauren Beukes


2 stars.


The story follows Kirby who is a murder survivor. The story also follows the murderer, Harper, who can jump between time and murders women that he has met from earlier times when they were a child. 

The synopsis sounded really good when I picked this book up and I was looking forward to reading it. The writing is average, and there seems to be an overload in the use of swearing. Not that I mind swearing but sometimes it can ruin a story or just be annoying. I didn't mind the jumping between years, it was easy enough to follow. One thing I didn't like however, was the attempted murder of Kirby was around 250 pages into the book and when I was first reading this chapter I actually thought he was trying to kill her again. The ending of the book also seemed a little abrupt and I would have liked a little more development into the ending rather than waffling on about previous killings which weren't needed. There was a few character developments and storylines that were unnecessary too. 

The book was a very average read, what was seemed to be a very original idea and set itself up for a good read, turned out to be very much the same and I just wanted to finish it. I hate unfinished books and wanted to see whether Kirby found her killer, that's it. Otherwise I would have left this book in the first 50 pages or so. 

Anyways, on to the next read. Happy reading :)







0 comments:

Post a Comment