The Little Paris Bookshop by Nina George


2 Stars

I realise that I am giving this book quite a poor rating, but this is not because the book was a terrible read. Unfortunately, the book just wasn't for me in the end. 

The book follows Monsieur Perdu as our main character and whose view point the book is from. Perdu owns a literary apothecary which is afloat in a barge on the Seine. Perdu uses his books as a prescriptions of sorts for those visiting. However, Perdu is struggling to overcome his own hardships in life after his great love disappeared and leaves but only a letter. Perdu finally reads the letter and sets off on a journey to make peace and give his wisdom to those he meets. 

Now, the thing that drew me into this book was the utterly gorgeous and the literary apothecary floating on the Seine. Now that would be a bookshop that I would visit! The book however, just wasn't fast paced for me, didn't keep my attention and I wasn't exactly completely in love with the characters. I have seen on Goodreads that some people really enjoyed this book and gave it 5 stars. The book is pretty sweet overall and the writing is generally ok. The book is not a bad book, but I think I was expecting something slightly different. Moreover when reading reviews on Goodreads I can see that other readers have also said something similar to how I feel about the book. 

I actually gave this book to my nana as I felt that she might find it better but even she felt the same! Anyways, on to the next book. 

Happy reading :)

3 comments:

  1. Dear Hannah,

    Right now, my short story is a single plankton in an ocean of sharp toothed books, but I am hoping that once you and your peers review it, it would amass to much more than that.

    My name is Vanya Ferreira and I am a new author hoping to make a long, productive career out of writing. My short story - "The Story of Lucius Cane" - was published on Amazon nine days ago. It belongs to the dark fantasy genre and it has approximately 7,000 words.

    http://www.amazon.com/Story-Lucius-Cane-Book-One-ebook/dp/B01BMYYVLG/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1455272055&sr=1-1&keywords=vanya+ferreira

    Here is the synopsis:

    London, 1794. Lucius Cane, a peculiar vampire, comes upon an opponent the likes of which he has never seen before - a brute with remarkable abilities. But not all is as it seems as their encounter unfolds in a manner that neither of them expected.


    If requested, I can provide the MOBI, ePUB or PDF copy of the story.

    Hoping that it will spark your interest and that is review worthy....

    Thank you very much in advance.

    Sincerely,

    Vanya
    e-mail: vanya.ferreira@hotmail.com

    P.S. The profile picture associated with this comment is not mine but my lovely girlfriend's. I am certified male. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Vanya,

    Thank you for your message and request for me to review. Your story is part of my kindle unlimited subscription so I can easily have a copy sent to my Kindle. I will let you know once I have read and reviewed via email on my blog and a review will be uploaded to Amazon as well. Thank you again.

    Kind regards,
    Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Hannah,

    Thank you very much! That's great news!

    I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it.

    All the best.

    Vanya

    ReplyDelete