Unconscious Knowledge by Beaird Glover


5 Stars 

I will first start my review by thanking Beaird Glover for sending me a copy of this lovely book to review. I would certainly say this is a hidden gem, so thank you again!

The book follows Marcy Harris who has taken a job at the Hospital cafeteria. Marcy comes from a poor background and is looking for a way to get out of this boring life. Then, on Christmas day, she meets Syd McComb. A punk rocker who has just returned from Mexico and is definitely the trouble she has been looking to get into. They hit off from the moment they talk and take on a dangerous lifestyle. Marcy wants to go to Hollywood and become an actress, but they need money. Staying one step ahead of the police, they take vengeance where they need to and don't care who gets hurt, or rather, who dies. 

I really had no idea what to expect from this book, what would happen or whether the characters would be enjoyable. I was definitely happily surprised. The book is very well written and the way it is written is something I would expect from somebody who has been writing for a long time. The story flowed throughout and there was definitely no way of knowing what the ending would be. There were some characters throughout the book that I wasn't sure on about their place, but everything fell in nicely as the book progressed. I really enjoyed the back story chapters and the characterisation of all major players. There was plenty of action throughout too, maybe not the massive explosive action but the action you want for this kind of story. 
I really could not find anything to fault this book. The book is written from the view of the early 1990s, which definitely suits this story, in Memphis America. Although they aren't the most likeable of couples, you almost want them to get away things at some point. I very much enjoyed the ending too; unexpected and exciting until the very last line. 

Overall, this book is somewhat diving into the darker side of America and is definitely worth reading if you are looking for something different to add to your reading list. 

Happy reading :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment