Red Queen by Christina Henry


4 Stars.

I loved the first book 'Alice' by Henry and rated it 5 stars. As soon as I heard the next book in the series was coming out, I couldn't wait to read it and would drop everything to read it. The Alice series by Henry is a much darker twisted version of events of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. 

Alice and Hatcher have now moved beyond the the City, looking for Hatcher's daughter Jenny. As they search, they come across large amounts of environment which have been scorched, a village where there seems to be nobody home and a forest where Alice comes across giants. Hatcher and Alice become separated and Alice must use the help from another village where the children are being taken by the White Queen. 

I would say that the next book in the series is a little bit of a letdown after the first one. I was completely in love with the first one and the second one definitely keeps up with dark tone, the same writing stance and the overall plot is good. However, it just wasn't quite as good as the first one. I think the majority of this is to do with the storyline. This one is a little confusing as to where it is going to go and I really wondered if there was actually going to be action or if the Red Queen was eventually going to turn up. Don't get me wrong, this is still a very quick read and I read it within two sittings. Also, once the storyline began to unravel, I remembered why I loved this series. There are still a few good twists too towards the end of the book too. 

Overall, I think you need to finish reading this book in its entirety to enjoy it. I'm not entirely sure what the next book will hold if there is going to be one but I think Henry would need to up her game to make it as good as the first one. I did enjoy this but only because the story and the writing picked up after the beginning. 

Happy reading :) 

0 comments:

Post a Comment