I, Lucifer by Glen Duncan


3.5 Stars. 

So I picked this book up after reading a list from a website I like on books about the devil. Once I started reading, this book is definitely not something I would normally pick up. I was surprised by it too, in a reasonably good way. 

So the book is told from point of view of Lucifer. As the ruler of hell and fallen angel, God has decided to give him a second chance to get back into heaven; Lucifer must live out his life as a human. Before making his mind up however, Lucifer is given the chance to trial living as a human for one month. Lucifer then takes up residence inside the body of a man called Declan Gunn. Whilst chronicling his time on Earth, Lucifer also lets us into his views of Hell, the beginning of time and Eden. 

This book as a whole was a reasonably enjoyable read. There was a lot of wit and dark humour with a mix of sexual references throughout which I found funny and really personalised the way I think Lucifer should be. I really enjoyed the way he spoke too, in a charming kind of way. Very British too. I also enjoyed seeing large events in time that the Bible chronicles through Lucifer's eyes. I am definitely in no way religious but I would say I have a somewhat interest in things that are religious in terms of challenging what happened. 

I would say my only downfall when reading this book is that there is a lot of description, not so much dialogue, and sometimes I felt confused as to the switching between current time and Lucifer telling us the past. Sometimes it would seem so irrelevant until you suddenly just catch on to why Lucifer is telling us these things. This is definitely not a fast paced read either and kind of takes a bit of effort to get through for such a smallish book. However, I would say the good outweighed the bad; there are some very good lines!

Overall, I'm glad I picked this book up. It was a little different for me to read and I like reading anything to do with Lucifer/Hell etc. Definitely pick this up if that interests you too. 

Happy reading :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment