Chaos by Patricia Cornwell


4 Stars. 

I have been following this series from the beginning and Cornwell is one definitely one of my favourite writers. I love this series. However, I just have one gripe with the past few books which I will talk about after a short synopsis. 

Dr Kay Scarpetta and her investigative partner, Marino, are called out to a suspicious case involving a dead cyclist. Cambridge is currently undergoing an extreme heat wave and Kay is currently waiting on the arrival of her sister when she gets the call. Marina and Kay arrive at the scene with numerous questions about how she has landed where she is, why half of her items are missing and why she has strange burns across her body. As the case unravels, Kay learns of a similar death hundreds of miles away which completely shocks her. Whilst Kay carries on working her case, questions (and very little answers) arise about another mysterious message from Tailend Charlie and terrorism. 

One of the reasons I enjoy Cornwell's books are because of the detail she goes into with crime scenes. Her books aren't overally adventurous in the sense of catching the killer, but from a more inside look at the way crime is solved from an inside perspective. The books continuously ask questions which mostly get answered towards the end of each book. They are still quite fast paced in that I found that I read this book quite fast. I also really enjoy how we always seem to find out something new about Kay's life despite reading about her life for so many years now. I just really like the characters and the detail the Cornwell goes into in writing her books. 

As I said earlier, I did however have a gripe with this book. This book and a few of the recent ones I think, have gone into a lot of detail about how the characters have become so paranoid about technology; whether somebody is constantly listening in on them and the use of new bio-terrorism. Though I can see why the characters are paranoid with Carrie Gretham still alive, I feel that sometimes the paranoia is over the top. A lot of conversations take so long to get to the bottom of because of this paranoia too. The world is ever changing and there are constantly new threats from increases in technology, however, it certainly doesn't keep the majority of us awake at night. I think future books need to take a step back from this paranoid way as some readers will certainly find it hard to get through the books. I wouldn't say it bothered me too much but I would certainly prefer if it decreased! Which it should now do. 

Overall, I did still really enjoy this book and will definitely continue to read Cornwell's future works. Hopefully we will see a decrease in the constant looking over the shoulder! 

Happy reading :) 

0 comments:

Post a Comment