The Beautiful Dead by Belinda Bauer


3 Stars

I picked this up at Tesco a while ago whilst it was on cheap (even in hardback too!) and I am quite glad that I didn't have to pay full price. The book was a decent read but certainly not rememberable or anything too original. 

The book follows Eve Singer as our main character. Eve is a crime reporter in London for a company called iWitness. It is the month of December and is so leading up to Christmas. Eve also lives with her father, Duncan, who suffers from Alzheimer. The story begins with the murder of a young woman and then Eve is called on to report the crime for the news. The book switches between Eve's view and the killers, even sometimes the odd view of other characters. Eve gets caught up in the murder investigation as the killer films his work and sends her a copy so she can show it off on the TV. 

I felt like the synopsis for this book if you read on Goodreads or the actual book. It talks of the killer being obsessed with Eve and the front page tagline is 'He might kill her, she might let him'. The killer is somewhat obsessed with Eve, but only because he wants his work publicised. I don't think he has any particular plans to kill Eve and nor does Eve want to be killed. The writing was really good and the characters were decent. However, I have read so many crime/thriller books that this book wasn't any different or exciting for me. It was an easy read and certainly not the worst book I have ever read; but it definitely wasn't the best book I have ever read either. I paid £5 for this book, I would have felt robbed had I paid £13-15. I know a lot of people really loved this book but I guess I just wasn't one of them!

Overall, this was an ok read but nothing special. I am certainly looking forward to my next read!

Happy reading :) 

0 comments:

Post a Comment